Recruiting etc

spoke today to head of 247 sports recruiting
they are surprised at midmajor gains so far
i am not as i have written.
all you have to do is go to the grassroots games in places like atl especially and augusta (not so much, peach jam is unique) and see who is in stands vs the past
have a lot of respect for their analysis but frankly they spend too much time in the portal also and dont see enough to measure the 75-400 ranked kids

this yale class is underrated and it is the best on record as it stands.
the question is are previous classes while not as good also underrated bc of the above neglect by evaluators particularly the last 2-3 yrs.
i believe so. but i also believe you cant replace elite junior and senior transfers with freshmen no matter how good and expect to compete nationally (or against a penn) in this era.
so both sides or two things can be true at once.
if they keep this class intact which is a big if always in this era-it does add developmental intrigue
most fans like in sec or big x football now just care about the w not the how.
i tend to enjoy the developmental process so hopefully it keeps ivy hoops a hobby if we sustain this

2 Likes

You mean the Yale incoming class for next year? Recruiting sites have been a little slow to catch up — the class I’m aware of is Guy, Echols, and Gonda. Is that right? Agree that is the best class in the league as of now (Penn would be second, with another big drop off after that). Any word on Harvard’s class? I haven’t seen any public commitments.

For the incoming freshmen, I think Harvard’s incoming class is best, followed by Yale and then Penn. But the portal makes things more complicated. Mohammed for Penn could be the best newcomer in the league. Dartmouth and Columbia also got transfers who could step in quickly, and May is interesting for Yale.

yeah I posted this under Yale so it’s pertinent only to the elis. I only have credibility in speaking to the head of a major recruiting organization on one team well two teams the L Bulldogs and grassroots teams i fund and coach

The League benefits initially from the portal and the fact that most high majors recruit very little, if at all, out of high school. The bad news is that some top 2027 kids may leave after 2 years. 2027 looks like a great class at many places. Time will tell of course.

I don’t think anyone will ever recruit like amaker did for that sort of 10ishyear period is that is the best Ivy recruiting in my adult lifetime certainly so dating back to when I was a recruit starting at 16 years old. It can’t it will not be repeated

as a disclaimer I suppose you could add in some of the penn and princeton teams in the early to mid 90s as nationally elite recruiting and playwuse

the trick is back then you had publica a hoop scoop and Tom Konchalsli but you didn’t have you know the rigid online rating systems which now might not be as good as they were pre-portal are still much more resourced than the services that existed nearly to mid 90s this being said I don’t wanna piss off any fans for Princeton guys like Steve Goodrich and some of the penn guys including transfers like our Bowman and Matt Maloney were certainly elite recruits

The best Yale recruit nationally remains edwin draughan as rated but these recent commits are darn close

And yes as written above and recurringly by me the bull case for this league is a developmental situation not a nationally competitive
one. Those days are gone. i apologize for audio ai but dont have time to fix it​:zany_face:

sorry I have to use audio AI today. It doesn’t do well with the southern accent in the car but I think you get my drift

yes everything I’m speaking about or commits not first years. Harvard got Battier’s kid committed